2011 Le Petit Coquerel Sauvignon Blanc
The 2011 Le Petit Coquerel is a pure expression of Sauvignon Blanc. It has a nose of gooseberry and grapefruit. The wine mouth feel is crisp and bright with a creamy round mid palate followed by a long finish of exotic fruit, lychee, and papaya. The wine is delicious to enjoy alone or with light fare such as seafood, sushi, cheeses, mild curries or any Asian cuisine.
2011 was a cool year and was very challenging for growing grapes. Calistoga experienced low temperatures throughout the spring. Summer brought more cold foggy mornings which created high humidity and increased disease pressure threatening the grapes. Botrytis and mildew were of special concern. We managed our vineyard by hand thinning the canopy while leaving leaves around the clusters. Fortunately, these outer leaves protected our crop from destruction during two days of extreme heat spikes near the end of August. The temperatures returned to unseasonably cool levels, and the fruit was checked almost daily from mid August until harvest to ensure the optimal accumulation of sugar for ripeness while closely monitoring the crop for disease.
After hand harvesting on September 22nd in the early morning, the fruit was de-stemmed and gently pressed, the juice settled and was fermented in stainless steel barrels. The wine was then aged sur lie for seven months, with frequent stirring to develop roundness, body and texture. 80% of the fruit for our Le Petit Coquerel was sourced from an organic, dry-farmed Sauvignon Blanc vineyard in Yountville, and the remaining 20% of the fruit was from the Cockerells' dry-farmed, old vine estate vineyard in Calistoga.